Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Last Farm Blog

















So I know I did not blog a lot this past summer, even though I promised I would. As you can imagine, my summer has been a whirl wind! Since my internship has ended, it seemed only fitting to to give the farm one last farewell. So here is my encomium to the Farm...

Thanks to the interns, pets, and of course the amazing Farmer Dick; I had one of the best summers of my life! Even with all the summers filled with camps and fun trips to other countries, this one has been by far the best. I learned so much; some dealing with agriculture and some not so much. The first week of leaving the farm, was really sad. I felt so homesick, I had even started calling the Farm my home. For six months I had lived there, cooked there, made friends, laughed, cried, and jammed with some of the neatest people I have met. So I guess, in some way, this post is a tribute to them along with the farm. You always hear about studies that say the more you laugh the younger you get. Laughter does good like medicine. Well if that is the case, I should end up being a very healthy very young baby. I have tlaughed more hardily there, than any one place. I can remember he good times that we spent on top of my camper, just talking with the other interns and having an all around good time.

When I had first found out about this opportunity to intern on an organic farm. I was so excited, but in some ways, I had mixed emotions. I had only met Dick (the Farmer) at market. What would it be like to live with him the entire summer? I have to admit, there was some apprehension about it. But it was awesome, there was no TV, no internet, for the longest time I didn't even have a radio. This is part of the reason I only posted twice. But I kinda liked it that way. Even since being home, I've watched very little television. I loved all the cows, the horses, donkey, dog, cat, chickens, and people. Oh by the by; all the previous chickens got eaten, so the old ones are no more. But I incubated some more from the old chickens fertilized eggs. So, we have more now! One of the interns, found a puff mushroom that was over 8lbs! it was bigger than both of our heads, and probably heavier too....hehehehe. jpk.












7 comments:

tina said...

Well hello Zach. Long time no see. So glad your internship went well. I bet the farm misses you too. Glad you had a great time.

Zach said...

TINA!!!!! I know it is a long time no see. Yeah the farm does miss me, Farmer Dick said that he felt like an empty nester now that the interns were all gone!

Racquel said...

Hi Zach, I was glad to see your comment on my last post. Looks like you had a wonderful 6 months. Love all the photos!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful summer Zach! Did your garden survive without you?

Dan said...

Well welcome back Zach! Glade you had such a fun adventure at the farm, certainly sounds exciting. So are you planning on running your own organic farm one day?

Zach said...

Racquel:
Thanks, Im glad to be back, Didn't the photos turn out really nicely.

Robin:
You know, surprisingly, my garden did survive without me. Barely but it did. No, actually the garden did really well, we got a good harvest this year.

Dan:
I don't think I will be going into agriculture, especially with the upcoming issue 2 (in Ohio) that will put small family farms out of business and help out big agribusiness. But I will definitely be making my garden a whole lot bigger!

Whitney said...

These photos turned out awesome!