Friday, April 18, 2014

How 2's: lilies


Hey kids. How about those lilies. Yep I am a gardener, and you can tell. You all know that mostly I do the veggies, but who can resist the look... and the smell of lilies! Specifically Oriental lilies! Although their show is short, to really do put out ( flowers I mean, gosh get your mind out of the gutter!). I have decided to add some more to my collection. So come on, lets see what I got today.

When it is too wet or cold to do anything outside, I feed my addiction with going to a independent garden center. They have all sorts of unique things there. Look at the treasure trove I got there!


Among the things I bought are lilies. Aren't they pretty!

So the pictures on the bottom are what I bought and the ones on top are how I did it.

You can plant lilies in the fall or in the spring. I think you normally have a better show when you plant them in the fall, but...oops, what can I say.

  • Once I got them home I soaked my Lily bulbs in a bucket of water. Don't bother taking them out of the plastic bag (as I did), just stick the whole thing in there.
  • After a day of soaking place your lilies should look like this. See how they are rearing to go, they already have shoots on them 

  • Plant- depending on how big the lily is, they should be planted between 6-4 inches deep. I dug 6 inches and then placed 2 inches of homemade compost (bottom left), doesn't that compost look good enough to eat, not really though. A little tip is to plant deep, the stem will form roots all the way through the soil which will give you a stronger plant in the end. So plant her deep and watch'er grow!
  • Put the bulbs in and cover with more compost! Viola we are done...Now we will have to wait till July-August before I can update this!

Planted: 4/9/14

3 comments:

RobinL said...

It's good to see you back! I don't have many lilies, even though they are quite beautiful. For some reason they don't do well at my house. Maybe you've convinced me to plant some more and try harder!

Zach said...

Robin. Something that I have learned with any plant that has failed on me, is that it is probably my soil or I didn't start it off on the right foot with consistent watering. You probably have a greener thumb than I do, but those are maybe some ideas.

Zach said...

Robin. Something that I have learned with any plant that has failed on me, is that it is probably my soil or I didn't start it off on the right foot with consistent watering. You probably have a greener thumb than I do, but those are maybe some ideas.